5/30/14

  I've never much liked things. There are very few inanimate objects that I hold dear…my Grandfathers sweater, my Grandmothers necklace, my journals filled with late night writings, and my letters from loved ones. I don't believe a person should have much more than they need to survive. These things we as humans so often crave, create holes in our hearts, & tell us that possessions can fill the lonesome voids that we keep within ourselves. For years now, I have let myself keep only enough that if I wanted to pack up and hit the road, everything would fit into my tiny Chevy Aveo, and I wouldn't look back. I haven't yet. Sometimes, I even make myself sell or borrow my favorite clothing pieces, just as a reminder that a thing is a thing, and seeing someone else feel good and confident in something of mine, is worth more than the price I paid for it. It is just so important to stay true to the basic foundation of yourself, and it is also so incredibly challenging. We live in a society of consumers, wide eyed with want, and then want turns into "need." Stay true my friends, for you are more beautiful as your bare self, with your messy morning hair, eyes wide and lit while talking about your passions, laying tangled with a lover, naked as you came, than you ever will be surrounded by things that are there as misguided comfort.

No comments :

Post a Comment