10/24/13

:::>>>:::









Lately, I've been fixated on the idea of community. I grew up with a significant amount of dependence on my neighborhood community. I felt comfortable and taken care of in quite a few neighbors homes, just as I did my own, and my parents made friendly efforts with everyone around. Every time I visit home we sit out in the front yard and have drinks, and I don't think we've ever not had neighbors come over to say hello. I've heard that this kind of "neighborly kindness" is a Midwestern trait, and maybe it is, so props to you Minnesota, you're kick-ass. Moving out to the West Coast really made me start to realize the lack of value for neighborhood communities. In my first apartment, only a single resident introduced himself out of about 15 people. His name was John and he was kind... and brought us beer once (won't forget that). I went around one day giving everyone cupcakes and introducing myself, and that was the end of that. My boyfriend brought up the point that communities are often built when you have children, your children play, the parents talk, and they become friends. That's understandable, but why do I have to have a little mini-me to have a damn BBQ with some neighbors? People thrive off of community, it's scientifically proven that feeling a part of a community makes you happier, more kind, and confident. It's so important to feel comfortable in your home, and to be surrounded by people that make you feel safe, and I don't know, maybe tell them where the spare key is in case you need someone to feed your fish or water your plants. It upsets me to see people afraid to open up to their door...to be more protective of their homes than inviting. Don't we decorate...and cook beautiful meals...and make ourselves a place to call ours to share it with others?

I went on a walk tonight, bundled up, just to be in the Autumn air and the dimming light. As I was a few houses away from home, I came across an open window. Inside was an elderly man dressed in a beautiful suit, sheet music in front of him, singing a melody in a deep raspy voice. An elderly woman sat right by his side...just listening. I didn't stop walking, just slowed down a bit to smile and listen. She glanced over at me, and her brow furrowed at my presence, casting away my smile. She unsteadily rose from her chair and closed the curtains tight as I walked by. 

2 comments :

  1. I know what you mean.. Zach always says hello to his neighbors and actually has meaningful conversations. But how many people actually do that? Maybe it's about having a sense of home, of having roots. Zach grew up here. He's home. Everywhere around Monterey is home. I'm a pretty private person so I don't think I'd be the type to go around introducing myself and planning block parties.. but it would do some of us good. Nice insight Mattie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply Nat...I know we'll be great neighbors to someone someday!

    ReplyDelete