9/14/13

Growing Older

Journal Entry September 13th 2013:



One of things I am most grateful to my parents for is how they taught me to be accepting and humble. My Mom and Dad have always given me lessons on loving, rather than judging...even if they don't realize it. They've always cherished me and my brother's qualities that might be a little off the beaten path or just straight weird. I've never once felt like I needed to change something about myself to conform to what my families beliefs are. I think that's very important, or even key, to the growth into who I am. My parents gave me guidance, harsh truths, and stubbornness...and still do...but they've never once told me I can't do exactly what I want to do, they've never not listened to my dreams, never encouraged me to prematurely settle down, never told me I need anyone but myself, never made me feel anything less than who I am. One of the more recent things my Dad said to me was something like... "Matts don't ever give up on your dream, because I know it's going to happen for you. All it takes is one big job and you're going to get there. If you want it, you'll have it." I'm blabbering on now...but as I get older I start to realize more and more about what undeniably massive roles our parents play into the development of who we are and who we become. 


I'm endlessly happy to call them mine.


"Love your parents. We are so busy growing up, we forget that they are also growing old."

No comments :

Post a Comment